2013 MGI – March – Final Recap –Miami Golf Invitational – Shula’s Golf Club Senator Course – Miami Lakes, Florida.
The format was changed for this year at the MGI, instead of being a team vs. team Ryder Cup style event, it turned into a 2 man team rotation play where you played best ball all three days and switched opponents after every 9 holes.
“It was a change ….I don’t care either way, but it did get a little anti climatic once our team wasn’t in the money” added Brad Smiley on the final day, “The group team event has a little more drama, and hopefully TK brings it back in 2014 Either way, I am in in and ready for MGI 2014!”
“I guess I should have made side action with everyone in my group, as I that is how this format is supposed to be played?” added a puzzled Mike Lynch
Goleno added, “I played this style last summer in Seattle, it was fun….there were like 50 teams.”
Going into the final round on Saturday, the team of TK and Mez had the lead with Grant and BK on their tail, but McLovin and Goo played a lights out final 18 to end in a tie for the points lead with the team of TK and Mez.
“I was a birdie machine on Saturday, and when I missed a few my partner was right there!” added McLovin.
It took a spectacular finish by TK, the tournament co-host, who made birdie net eagle on the final hole of the Miami Golf Invitational just to force a playoff. The pair of TK and Mez had been 18- and 36-hole leaders heading into the final round, and it was easy to see that the pressure was building with this duo.
In the playoff, teamed with Hockey Steve Goo, Casey McLovin drained a fast, side-hill breaking putt for birdie on one in dramatic fashion at the first playoff hole (his second natural birdie on one that day) at the inaugural and different Miami Golf Invitational Two-Man Shoot-Out to put the pressure on their opponents – Todd Keiper and Dr. Mez.
“Only on TV have I seen a putt like that, the putt stopped two inches from the hole and then hopped in” added Goleno “McLovin had his putter in the sky when that putt was still sliding and was 8 feet away. It reminded me of Nicklaus in 86 at Augusta with that putt on 17 to take the lead….awesome!”
The media on hand which included the likes of Jimmy Roberts, Dan Nicks, and Roger Maltbie (who tried to get Gol 86’d from Shula’s steak house by Delvis until Gol pulled rank on him.) were awaiting with the Golf Channel camera crew, but it wasn’t over yet!
Mez had a shot to push the hole, but he lipped out his three foot putt to lose the championship. He was devastated by the missed opportunity, and Mez was immediately rushed away, and at the urging of Smiley and BBC, was checked into a suicide prevention clinic in nearby Fort Lauderdale. His stay was brief. It is rumored that through the night he feared TK assaulting him with a 5 iron.
“It was a lot of pressure to make that putt on 1 with everyone watching ……., in the Goleno Scramble I had scratch golfers McLovin and Belltower as my teammates so there was no pressure, and everything went in!” added Dr. Mez looking off into the clear blue sky “….. well, We did win that scramble though……”
TK didn’t help much in the playoff, who made bogey on the hole after topping his approach shot at the No. 1 hole at Shula’s Golf Club on the Senator Course.
“I played great all week, but once we got to the playoff, I lost it …. I knew Casey would have my number, he always does….… “ said TK
The format for this year at the MGI was certainly a different wrinkle. On the final day the McLovin-Goo Duo was able to jump into the hunt with an 18-2 point whipping of Smiley-Lynch Duo.
The team of BK-Grant recorded a third-place finish at 57 points going 1-2-3 in six matches. The Lynch-Smiley (56) team was fourth. The all-Ohio squad of Harris-BBC posted fifth place at 54 points, while the long-shot duo of Gol-Bellflower were 21 points off the pace with 50.
“Gol, I take a lot of the blame, holes 7 and 9 were struggles for me. I think I hit every house on 7!” said a tired and mentally exhausted Bellflower.”
With rounds of 75-81-74, McLovin captured the Trophy for Low Gross. TK was runner up (74-83-78).
TK won the Skins Game trophy with five skins during the three-day affair, and of course Gol did birdie 5 on Saturday for a net 1, and a skin.
“It was good to reclaim 5 as my signature hole. I didn’t expect on Saturday for it to only be 84 yards long, but everyone played from that same distance! To record a net ACE, not bad!” twitter post from Goleno.
Goulla’s amazing efforts helped him win the inaugural Burt Keiper Sandbag Award for handicap irregularities. Goo entered as a 13 and shot 90-91-86 to raise some eyebrows?
“His conditioning for the MGI tournament each year is impressive…” said McLovin, “ I was honored to have him as a teammate!”
Other Tournament News:
- Gol withdrew from the rest of the Florida swing and checked himself into a rehab facility citing emotional stress from no longer being apart of Team TK. “It is important that I am part of Team TK ! I need the team event back in 2014”
- The Mclovin and Guolla team also won the Horse Race competition (Alternate shot) for another big cash prize. They were pushed to the end by the Bellflower and Goleno team that came in 2nd (no cash prize.)
- Mclovin, Mez, and Bellflower won the 2nd annual Goleno 9 hole scramble setting a tournament record -9 under. Everyone participated this time, and it was a blast!
- In the feel-good story of the year, Lynchie and his long-lost son Hightower were reunited after 22 years. DNA samples from the hot tub confirmed the relationship was legit. In 1989, Lynch confirmed that he was in Las Vegas.
- Bellflower won Rookie of the Year Honors. In related news, BBC captured *&^%_*& of the Year Honors becoming the first player in MGI history to miss a tee time. He caught up to his group mid-way through the front nine Friday.
- Survivor Card Credit Roulette was evenly distributed with Mez, BK , Gol, Smiley taking the honor on different occasions. “That is a crazy game, and it gets my blood pumping!” said rookie Bellflower.